Friday, May 30, 2014

Do You Need an Incentive to Write Your Book?

We’ve all been there… You’re excited about your decision to write a book and you start talking to people about it. And then—


The conversation you, as a writer (especially a first-time book writer), don’t want to have:

Interested Party: “What are you doing lately that’s interesting?”
You: “I’m writing a book.” [Now you briefly tell what it’s about.]
IP: “That’s awesome! How’s it going?”
You: “It’s going.”
IP: “When will it be available?”
You: “Umm…”
IP: “How much have you written so far?”
You: “Umm…” [Maybe your “Umm” is a result of having a challenge with motivation to work on your book. Maybe it’s a result of not feeling sure about how what you’ve written so far reads. Maybe it’s because so far all you’ve actually done is talk about it and the only thing you’ve typed is the working title.]

The conversation you, as a writer (especially a first-time book writer), can have instead:
Interested Party: “What are you doing lately that’s interesting?”
You: “I’m writing a book.” [Now you briefly tell what it’s about.]
IP: “That’s awesome! How’s it going?”
You: “Really well! I’m working with a writing coach. I write a chapter, or up to three chapters, a month and then e-mail it to my coach so she can critique how it’s going. She tells me what’s working and what isn’t and offers suggestions for improvements. She also gives me notes about technical and creative aspects so I’m not only writing but improving my skills as I go. Because of this feedback and because I invest in myself through the reasonable fee she charges to do this each time I send her a chapter, I stay motivated and I’m making progress that I used to only wish I was making.

Work with a writing coach! Details about The Chapter-by-Chapter Get-Your-Book-Written Writer’s Incentive Coaching at http://editmybookandmore.weebly.com/writing-coach.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment